The Sarcomere. A sarcomere is a contractile unit of skeleton muscle that is separated into I and A bands, M and Z lines, and H zone.
You are watching: Which of the following marks the boundaries of a sarcomere?
MCAT official Prep (AAMC)
Biology inquiry Pack, Vol 2. Passage 1 inquiry 2
• A sarcomere is the basic contractile unit of skeletal muscle the is make of thick and thin filaments.
• Thick filaments are arranged bundles of myosin, while thin filaments room made of actin along with the two various other regulatory proteins-troponin and also tropomyosin.
• Z-lines define the borders of every sarcomere.
• The M-line runs down the facility of the sarcomere, through the center of the myosin filaments.
• The I-band is the an ar containing only thin filaments.
• The H-zone contains only thick filaments.
• The A-band contains both thick and also thin filaments and also is the center of the sarcomere the spans the H zone.
• When the muscle contracts, the H-zone, I-band, the distance between Z-lines all come to be smaller, vice versa, the A band continues to be the same.
Sarcomere: The functional unit of the skeleton muscle.
Thin filament/actin: A protein that creates (together with myosin) the contractile filaments that muscle cells, and also is likewise involved in motion in other types of cells.
Thick filament/myosin: A fibrous protein that develops (together v actin) the contractile filaments that muscle cells and is likewise involved in movement in other types of cells.
Troponin: A complicated of three regulatory proteins that is integral come muscle convulsion in skeletal and cardiac muscle, or any kind of member the this complex.
Tropomyosin: A protein associated in bones muscle contraction and that wraps roughly actin and prevents myosin from grabbing it.
I-band: The area nearby to the Z-line, wherein actin is no superimposed by myosin.
A-band: The length of a myosin in ~ a sarcomere.
M-line: The heat at the center of a sarcomere to which myosin bind.
Z-line: Neighboring, parallel present that define a sarcomere.
See more: Atl To Bwi Flights From Atlanta To Baltimore, Flights From Atl To Bwi
H-band: the area surrounding to the M-line, where myosin is not superimposed by actin.